Wednesday, September 11, 2013

In this day of rememberance...

I remember exactly where I was this day 12 years ago.  I was still living with my parents, and early that morning my father woke me and my brothers up, only telling us to come into the living room quickly.  I was living in Las Vegas at the time, and my Father worked nights, so if he was up this early and wanted us awake it must be pretty important.

My brothers and I sleepily woke up and meandered into the living room, our TV was airing a news cast and banners of *Breaking News* were strewn all across the screen.  I was still a little groggy from waking getting up so quickly, but then everything came into focus and I realized what was going on.  I stood there staring at the screen in disbelief, mouth wide open, and pretty sure I was holding my breath.  Was I actually seeing this, or was I still asleep? Smoke billowing out of the Twin Towers and breaking news that a plane had crashed into the Pentagon. My first thought was "this is it, this is how the world ends" and "how could something like this happen".  I couldn't process everything and sat down on the couch and just stared, taking it all in.  Then the Tower collapsed...

That was 12 years ago.  Its amazing how much has changed since then, and how our country came together in this time of crisis.  I just wanted to take a moment in todays post and remember the brave women and men that risked their lives to save others,  and to those that protect and serve us every day, by saying "Thank You". Thank you for making this a country I am proud to live in, and a safe place to raise my children.  I will never forget that morning I woke up to a changed world.  I will never forget those that made such sacrifice.  I will never forget 9/11.

No comments:

Post a Comment